Friday, August 6, 2010

Five Question Friday


Hello!  I figured since The Wednesday News has been delayed, I might as well do something on time like this week's Five Question Friday!


It's been a good week, but a stressful one.  The stress came because of the following equation:

(4 kids x 5 days of swimming lessons) + (first week of football practice x 4 evenings) - my energy due to fatigue issues = NOTHING GOT DONE AT HOME!


I had a blast with the kids at the lessons and watching Andy get through his first week of conditioning for football though.  No stress there!  Kids outside + good weather = DISTRACT MOM FROM NOTHING GETTING DONE AT HOME.







1. Are you a neat sleeper or a messy sleeper?

I am a neat sleeper!  I even have a pattern.  I wouldn't call it a method since it is not planned out.  Here goes: I start off on my back with two pillows.  Just before I'm all the way off in dreamland, I turn over on my belly, stand the top pillow up against the headboard and wedge the bottom pillow (now known as "only pillow") between my head and my right arm with my right ear down.  This is to let you know what way my head is turned.  Due East for people who know my house and my bedroom!


In the morning, I only have to put away the "stand up, starter" pillow.  I don't destroy the sheets either.  I just emerge from them and a triangle forms as I lift the covers off of me.


I am sure you're thinking, "Why do you need 2 pillows if you're going to only end up with 1 shortly thereafter?"  I dunno.  I just gotta have both when I set off to get some shuteye.  That's the way I roll.


2. Fill in the blank. I wish I was more ________________.


ORGANIZED!  I am getting much better, but I am just not naturally that way.  It seems as if I have to fight my mess-making as I go along.  Like Pigpen on Peanuts.  I have a tendency to pile, drop and fly by the seat of my pants.



It just doesn't work with 4 kids 4 years apart.  I HAVE TO PLAN as much as it is NOT in my nature.  I'm really good about some things.  I have NEVER run out of gas because I always plan ahead on that one.  I have been blessed with a great memory so I rarely miss appointments even if I haven't written them down.  The numbers just "stick" in my head.


I think it all boils down to not wanting to take the time.  I don't want to go through my mail, I want to hang on every word when my son is telling me his ideas about changing the color of the sky all on his own.  I'd rather watch my favorite TV show than use that time to help my kids pack their backpacks the night before.  I have been like this all of my life.


Having all of my kids in 4 years (including 2 at the same time), I have had no choice but to get more organized.  You can't just "up and go" anywhere.  Does everyone have shoes?  Did everyone use the bathroom?  Does everyone have snacks/drinks?  Bathing suits?  Towels?  Where are my car keys?  It's true that everyone has things to remember, especially parents, but maybe if one child forgets his beach towel, he can borrow yours.  Four kids cannot borrow one beach towel!


It has really gotten past the point of tolerance for me though.  Believe me, my threshold was HIGH too!  I have a friend that feels totally stressed out if she goes to the grocery store the night before one of her kids has a birthday party.  She wants to have it all done by then.  She is onto something!


I am determined to find a system that works for our family.  I've come to realize life is a lot more fun when you can FIND everyone's things (and your bank statements).  Plus, my kids will be even happier when there is more order as will the rest of us.




3. What is something that you wish you had been warned about?

I'll have to say my first rollercoaster ride.  I know I link to this post a lot, but I have been finding it relevant again!  It outlines my feelings toward "the coaster".
http://somanykidssomuchfun.blogspot.com/2009/09/emotional-rollercoaster.html

The one I'm going to write about wasn't my very first, but my very first was when I was about 6.  I hated it but I figured by the time I was in high school, I'd be "over it".


So, off I went on the 1 hour plus drive with my high school pals to the biggest park near our home.  I looked at the rollercoaster.  It was high and fast, but after all, EVERYBODY wanted to go on it and EVERYONE was smiling and squealing with delight as they careened along.  I am MISSING OUT and I GOTTA GO ON.


We wait, and wait and wait in line.  I finally get buckled in and the guy puts this harness over my shoulders.  Still, not a clue what I'm in for until....um, this is going up REALLY high....now....AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH....Am I going to do a somersault into the person in front of me because this downhill is SO steep?  WHY THE HECK DOES THAT PERSON HAVE HIS HANDS UP?  IS HE OUT OF HIS MIND?!?!  I have a white-knuckle grip on the bar and I'm still TERRIFIED!


Oh my gosh.  Am I going to die?  I think I am.  That's OK.  It's gotta be less scary than this vehicle of torture.  Twist, turn, more hills, can't find my stomach, more terror...then...SCRRRREEEECH.  We stop.  It's over.  I survived!  I look over at my friend beside me.  He says, "That was AWESOME!!"  and wants to go wait in line again.  Are you KIDDING ME?!?!  Are the people who are eagerly waiting for me to jump out of my seat so they can have a go at it KIDDING ME?  HOW on earth could this person have enough in common to be FRIENDS with ME?!?!  I feel like I just cheated DEATH ITSELF.


I am determined to get over my fear, however.  I know I'll be boarding one before the end of the summer.  Glad I haven't had dinner yet.  It makes me queasy just thinking about it.


After all, who really could have warned me when apparently, they're so much fun!


4. What was the best thing you ever found at a garage sale/flea market?

Our dining room table and chairs!  My parents actually found it at an "estate sale" and gave it to us as a housewarming present.


I don't go to flea markets or yard sales.  If you're wondering why, read my post entitled "Buried Alive".

http://somanykidssomuchfun.blogspot.com/2010/04/buried-alive.html


I HAVE TOO MUCH STUFF (and I'm a recovering impulse buyer)!!


5. If you could have any meal brought to you right now, 
what would it be?


Pizza!  What can I say, I'm easy to please.  I do like gourmet and some exotic food as well, but pizza is my favorite (and yes, I also like gourmet pizza).


Actually we are having pizza tonight, but I have to heat up frozen ones.  It's just not possible for us to order out every week given our family size (and off-the-chart appetites).  We save that for a special treat.


I LOVE to eat large quantities of either deep dish OR thin crust pizza fresh from a pizzeria.  I especially like Greek-style pizza.  There's something about the cheese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment