Monday, January 11, 2010

Moving into 2010

Breaking news! I've started exercising regularly again! I joined a local gym that was having a special just after New Year's. This was not just a mundane resolution, it was more that the timing of my desire just happened to be this time of year.

As I have posted about before, I have been struggling with an energy crisis since the fall of 2007. I had adrenal insufficiency caused by medicine I was taking to manage my asthma back then. As of August 2009, I got the green light in terms of my adrenaline being all back to normal levels, but I was still struggling with low energy. This, however, was nothing like it had been before.

Since my doctors could no longer find anything medically wrong, I resolved to really get myself on a regular sleep schedule and try to take more regular time alone. The sleeping is still in need of repair, but has gotten a lot less erratic. Since I always have at least one child at home with me, I was staying up way too late to take advantage of the quiet in the house. I would then get up with the kids on school mornings and be totally exhausted on the weekends.

Also because I always have one of my sweeties at home with me, I must go to the gym when my dear husband can keep an eye out for the kids. Weeknights are very difficult, but I think I can do Friday, Saturday and Sunday no problem. I also have some workout videos and a home stairmaster that I can partake of while my kid(s) are home.

Well, Saturday I didn't plan my very first visit to the gym very well. They closed at 6pm and I wasn't free until 5:30p. I am not going to beat myself up about it though. This is all new to me, right? I didn't let the gym be a confine to exercise though. I was determined!

I laced up my shoes, grabbed gloves and a hat (I think it was 20 degrees out if not colder) and set off on a walk/jog around my neighborhood. We live in such a great development. The streets are wide and I think I only saw 4 cars the whole 45 minutes I was out!

Besides the wonderful burst of energy I felt for the rest of the evening, I thoroughly enjoyed being outside. I didn't feel the cold because I was bundled up and moving. I also felt kind of anonymous since it was dark out. My neighbors were all snug in their homes. It was just me, the clear, starry night and the sound of my footsteps. It was incredibly uplifting...and oh, so quiet....!

I don't think I've felt the "addiction" of regular exercise since before we had children! I used to workout for two hours three times a week religiously. If I skipped a day, I felt like a bloated slug. I did that wonderful outing on Saturday and 40 minutes on the treadmill at the gym yesterday. My body is now wondering when and what I'm going to do today. It's very motivating. So is my empty stairmaster. I'd better go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment