Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Wednesday News June 16, 2010

Hello!  I really need to get some pictures up here.  I've been snapping pictures on my phone because it seems like I'm ALWAYS on the go to all of the end of the year in-class celebrations.  They've been great!  We have had some wonderful teachers this year.  The real camera is buried in the car somewhere and every time I arrive at an event, there is just no time for excavating the jackets for the ever-changing weather, blankets to sit on at sporting events and picnics (and to accommodate the ever-changing weather), extra shoes, extra clothes, water bottles, soccer equipment, baseball equipment, karate equipment and snacks.

I have some good ones on the phone...now how do I get them off the phone?  I remember when phones were just used to CALL people.  I remember rotary phones too, but that's beside the point.


Andersen

Andy had his last spring baseball game on Saturday.  This was his 3rd season.  I love watching him play.  I only have had a few opportunities to actually sit and watch.  His weeknight games happen before Dave gets home from work, so I usually have the other 3 up on the playground and the almost 6yo's are still too young to play unsupervised.  The playground is both a blessing and a curse.  It's been great, especially when Harry and Malcolm were younger, to have them have something to do while big brother was playing baseball.  They've never been the "sit down and/or stay near Mommy" type.

However, after a weeknight game, it's late and eveyrone is hungry, tired and most likely still has homework to finish.  However, Andy feels gypped if he doesn't get to swing from limb to limb on the monkey bars after his game since his siblings got the chance to.  So, he makes a beeline for it as soon as they're finished.  I let them play for awhile but then, it's time for the extraction...not pretty at 7:30 at night!

He really loves the game and has really improved his skills and confidence this season.  Looks like he's going to do summer baseball which is a little different.  The focus is on techniques but they do play games which we're all looking forward to.  He went to a zoo for a his class field trip today and loved it.


Mom

I'm mixing myself in with the kids this week!  Tah-dah!  I have some news to share!  Well, not news yet, but I feel like I've made a lot of progress.  I lost touch with one of my best friends from college.  I haven't talked to her since about 3 years after we graduated.  I even tried to invite her to my wedding through the university's alumni office, but she had moved and they didn't know where she was.

I think about her often, but something struck me today.  What was her friend's name who I had met several times, but didn't know well.  I remembered it!  I am gifted with an excellent memory, but this too can be a blessing and a curse.  I'm not boasting, but I often have to "dumb down" when I bump into someone I haven't seen in a long time.  I remember their birthday, their phone number, their kids' names, their wedding anniversaries, etc.

I have more than once been in a situation where I use the person's name and they don't have the foggiest what my name is.  I could go on, "How are your parents enjoying their new home in east Texas where they moved in 2003?", but I don't.  I am also not the kind of person who shows off.  I don't know quite what to do in this situation though.  If the person doesn't use my name, I don't assume that they don't know it.  By the same token, I NEVER get offended if someone says, "I'm sorry, I don't remember your name.".  My mind also plays tricks on me though.  I have a friend who I want to call "Kelly" but that's NOT her name.  I have to stop myself because, doggone it, she LOOKS like a Kelly and, these kinds of things are just THERE in my mind...not with her though.  A wire is crossed somewhere (my husband might say, a screw is loose too!).

Anyway, my memory served me again today.  I remembered this man's name and just for the heck of it, I googled him.  I found his business website and he is uber successful (I remembered that he was uber smart so this was not surprising).  I also remembered what kind of car he drove too and how my long lost friend (the one I'm trying to find!) told me that someone had vandalized it in college.  I remember how too.  NO, IT WASN'T ME!

So, I thought to myself, what should I do?  Should I contact him?  Is he going to think I'm a stalker?  I'm NOT!  REALLY!!!  OK, what do I have to lose?  I won't mention the car, the vandalism or any other details I remember that normal people wouldn't!

I emailed the contact address on his website.  I figured, it's going to go into a spam filter or his administrative assistant will think I'm nuts...OR someone might just read it.  I got a response back in less than 5 minutes...from HIM!  What a surprise!  I didn't think he'd have time let alone get back to me so fast!  He was very pleasant and told me that he knew my friend was still in the city where she grew up, but that he hadn't talked to her in 10 years.  He mentioned one of her friend's names so I'm trying that lead.

I can't thank you enough!  You know who you are if you're reading this!

I sent him the URL to my blog so he could find the one or two pictures that I have of myself on here so he may remember me.  I feel like I may FINALLY FINALLY find her after all of these years!  There are just too many wonderful memories (I'm sure she'll remember some of the details too...but chances are, I will remember more) and we need to pick up where we left off.  Made my day!


Malcolm

Malcolm has finished soccer, but teeball has one more game.  I attended both his and Harry's Goodbye parties for each of their kindergarten classes with the same teacher.  So yes, Friday I went to Harry's class in the morning, went home for lunch and went back to school for Malcolm's.  I told his teacher what Dave had said to me the night before, that we'd have another baby just so we could put more kindergartners through her class.  She told me it was the ultimate compliment.

She is one of the best teachers at the school and I'm going to miss her so much!  She shows respect for each individual student, controls the class and gets them to learn amazing things through games that she makes HERSELF all summer while she's off.  What really impressed me from the get-go is how she said she didn't become a teacher to sit in front of a screen.  She has an assistant for all of her paperwork and emails.  Thankfully, we'll still see her at school events because the boys have several more years there still.

Malcolm brought Lilly's giant, stuffed dog that Grandma gave her to the Teddy Bear picnic at school today.


Dad

Dave was sent to London this week at the last minute.  Fortunately, he was able to swing it so there was NO weekend travel involved.  Monday through Friday.  Works for me!  So, not much news from him since last Wednesday, other than enjoying watching the boys wrap up their sports seasons last weekend.  We all went out for lunch again.  It was great!  We so rarely go out for meals.  I could get used to this!  Car was still in the shop when he left, but it may be ready by now.

Harry

Same sports, same classroom party as mentioned.  They've been pretty inseparable this week!  Harry brought the Easter Bunny that the Easter Bunny brought the family to share with his class.


Lillian

Last but not least, Lilly.  She was absent again last Thursday.  The doctor gave us great suggestions on how to go about handling her headaches (more fluids, more sleep....which has been a major issue this year as she's been up late doing her schoolwork more often than not... protein at breakfast and she needs an eye exam again.)  The suggestions have provided some relief from her headaches, just have to make that eye appointment...

She has been working diligently finishing up her last two major projects.  Looks like she's finally done!  It must be hard since none of the boys had homework this week.  Good for you, kiddo!

She bought herself an inexpensive skateboard with her prize money.  My kids earn "points" (based on compliance, attitude, extra chores, etc.) toward small amounts of money they can use for prizes at the store or they have the option of saving up for bigger things.  The more above and beyond your chores you go, the bigger the point value.

0 comments:

Post a Comment