Thursday, December 3, 2009

In the Christmas Spirit!

I have never paid attention to how many shopping days are left until Christmas (well, maybe when they get into the single digits!). It's 67 degrees where I live (Northeast US). Apparently, the record high for today was 65 degrees set back in the the 1930's! Time for a new statistic!

In spite of the weather, the fact that my son wore only a T-shirt to school this AM (oh, and pants too) and that I'm airing out the house by opening our porch door, I am totally in the Christmas spirit!

I've started my shopping (before the aforementioned last days of the countdown!), decorated a little and there's a local radio station that plays Christmas songs 24/7 that I have on whenever possible. Yup, it's on right now! This is significant because anyone who knows me knows that I work well under pressure (aka I need a deadline coming up fast to accomplish most things). I think I've just burnt myself out with all of the last minute stuff after all of these years I've been on earth. I've just been planning ahead better. Having 4 kids in 4 years has also taught me that waiting until the last minute can be hazardous to our health. No joke! Serious stress!

I feel a void because I did not properly record the Rockefeller Christmas Tree Lighting that was on TV last night. We got fiberoptic TV recently and apparently I'm still on the learning curve of using the equipment. I have succesfully recorded other shows we like so I know I can do it. I'll get over it, even though I have a passionate admiration for New York City and an attachment to Rockefeller Center. I ice skated there with my dad when I was a kid.

OK, I'm mushy. I like (some) cheesy Christmas TV specials and songs. I figure I must not be the only one or they wouldn't be on! My all-time favorite Christmas songs are the ones with Christ in them. "Do you Hear What I Hear", "O Holy Night" and "The Little Drummer Boy" top my list. Here is a list of my other fun favorites with my favorite singers of said songs:

"Sleigh Ride" (Leonard Bernstein and the Boston Pops), "Happy Holidays" (Andy Williams), "Feliz Navidad" (Jose Feliciano), "Baby it's Cold Outside" (Dean Martin and Martina McBride) and "J-I-N-G-L-E Bells" (Frank Sinatra) to name a few.

Also, because they remind me of my three boys: "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)"

And of course, from the awseome 80's: "Last Christmas" (Wham!) and "Wonderful Christmastime" (Sir Paul McCartney).

This one has GOT to go though (all versions, sorry Jackson 5, love you guys, but you should have done another song!): "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".

Chime in! (pun intended) Which ones do you love and which ones make you wanna lose your lunch?

Merry Christmas! Happy Hannakah! Happy Kwanzaa! Happy New Year!

2 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

Perhaps this will help quell the sting a wee bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7J0ZrzzRaE

Cristy said...

Thanks, Marsh! That's all I needed.

Post a Comment