Friday, August 28, 2009

Operation Summer Wrap-Up

Ahh, summer. Like someone on the radio said today, "We got cheated." It rained the entire month of June and into July. It also didn't get hot until mid-July so it didn't even feel like summer. The radio personality had said that he wanted 6 more weeks of summer because of all of the rain and cool weather.

Normally, I am right there with him. Even if we have absolutely beautiful weather, I never want summer to end. However, this summer I feel ready for the transition to fall. We had a busy and frugal summer and overall a very good one.

My Dad's death in late June did make the beginning of the summer difficult, but keeping our wonderful memories of him in our hearts, we were able to go on to enjoy things as a family. Things like July 4 fireworks, going to the lake almost everyday, having playdates with neighborhood kids and other friends, lemonade stands, a backyard campout, a Cub Scout campout (husband Dave and Andy), going to Dairy Queen, enjoying homemade popsicles, free movies, eating scrumptious summer fruit and going to the Science Museum on rainy days.

Harry and Malcolm started karate, Lilly taught herself how to make breathtaking gimp crafts and Andy took a shot at organizing the basement. I didn't learn anything new, but I was with my kids the whole time as they built memories for Summer '09 so that was even better than a new skill.

I was also thrilled that my older two had so much fun at camp for two weeks doing field trips to quaint beach towns with penny candy shops and swimming, Six Flags Amusement Park and a water park to name a few. They also enjoyed nature walks, S'mores and good old fashioned fun making new friends and crafts. My twins also had a blast at a half-day sports camp where they got to decorate their own T-shirts and play soccer, baseball and basketball. Everyone enjoyed week-long swimming lessons too.

I'm always amazed at how fast the summer goes by, but when I look back on how much we did, I wonder how we fit it all in. There are a lot of exciting things coming up for fall for us.

Lilly is going to be testing for her black belt in karate in September, going to a new school (her old school only goes up to 3rd grade) and was accepted into a competitive advanced academic program at said school. She also wants to learn violin in her spare time and maybe join the swim team she was recommended to do by her swimming instructor this summer.

Andy is sad that Mom dropped the ball and didn't sign him up for football in time. It was going to be his first shot at it, even though in our city, he was been eligible for the last two years. I even groveled a bit and they just can't take him as their teams are closed. I know he wants to do a sport, I just have to sell him on an alternative. Nothing is as good as football would have been. Sorry, bud!

Harrison and Malcolm are going to afternoon kindergarten! I can't believe it. The funny thing is I'm totally ready for it and not weepy like I thought I'd be (well, the school bus hasn't picked them up yet). It's time, they're ready and I'm ready.

Dave and I are going to work on finishing our basement for the coming winter and I am actively looking for a part-time job I can do while I have no kids for 2 1/2 hours for 5 days during the week.

I'll let you know how everything turns out for us, but for now, bring on the fall!

0 comments:

Post a Comment