Saturday, December 5, 2009

My Favorite Saturday

I think that there is truly something spiritual about a gray day, but especially a Saturday. If there is rain (even just a drizzle) or snow, that's even better. I believe it is something that started in my childhood. The coziness of being hunkered down on a gloomy Saturday with my whole family around just stuck with me all of these years.

I love sunshine as much as the next person but there's just something about it. As a mom, I seem to have added a nesting element to it. My reflections are not as deep right now though as it's noisy around here with the joyful and not so joyful sounds of my children! Curling up with a book is also out of the question.

However, I light scented candles, put on classical music (or Christmas music if it's the season) and peek out the window a lot. I find inspiration this way. These are also the days that I do most of my baking with my kids or crafts with them adding to the whimsy.

Today was one of these wonderful days. There was a light rain falling that is now changing to snow. There are so many Christmas lights and decorations up around town that is making it so much more magical too. The only way it could be more perfect is if my own family had our tree up or a fire going in our fireplace. We always wait until my daughter's birthday is over to do our heavy-duty decorating, but we're behind this year. Our family is also in the process of purging toys to bless others (and make room for Santa's goodies!). So, our fireplace is not accessible right now.

I am looking forward to more of these days this season and beyond. One of the candles I have burning right now is Balsam Fir so I can pretend it's a Christmas tree.

My kids do have a lot of energy and need a ton of exercise, however. They've been known to play outside in the rain, but not when it's this cold. So, after a day or two, it's time for me to say, "Rain, rain go away." Today, though, I had my Saturday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment